Saturday, March 24, 2007

Saturday

EVENING IN BRIGHTON

On Wednesday evening I was in Brighton, speaking at St Joseph's Church as part of a series of talks on "Catholicism for the Curious". As I drew up to the church, memorioes rushed back: I was last there 17 years ago, to gather support for the 1990 International Congress for the Family, a massive event of which Jamie was the organiser. On that occasion, I was asking local families if they would consider hosting some visitors for the Congress - specifically, visitors from eastern Europe who were unable to afford hotel fees...As I recounted this memory at the start of my talk, a hand shot up from among the audience and an elderly lady called out "Yes! And we are still in touch with our two Hungarians! They've become close family friends and have been back to visit several times!" Everyone broke into applause and it made a wonderful beginning to the evening.

The church is a large and rather splendid one, numbers attending were rather good for a (cold) weekday evening, and the atmosphere excellent. The nice parish priest was extremely welcoming: he was in the church quietly praying when I arrived, and when he finished he welcomed me with a warm smile, and took me off for a mug of tea and made me feel very much at home. There is a small group of young people living as a Benedictine community in a house near the church, and they were the initiative behind the series of talks. A large number of people from the parish go every year to "Celebrate!" the big family gathering organised by the Catholic Charismatic movement - where I have also been a speaker several times, and so that brought another wave of renewal of contacts.

Part of my talk centred on the Calendar - how the Church's feasts and seasons tell the story of our salvation, and how it all fits together. People always enjoy discovering - or rediscovering - the traditions associated with the Faith, and I always learn more as people add information or we tackle some new aspect via questions. This time, there was one young enthusiast who had written to HM the Queen suggesting that she revive the authentic custom of washing the feet of twelve poor men on Maundy Thursday, rather than just distributing Maundy nmoney...All in all a most cheery and agreeable evening. Home late as a train sped up to London, and I caught another back to the suburbs and cycled home from Wimbledon through silent and chilly streets.

No comments: