Monday, May 21, 2007

Monday May 21st 2007

A GOOD READ....

In the post comes a copy of New Directions, magazine produced by traditional Anglicans. It's a v. good read. The current edition isn't available on-line, but some archive editions are. There is a lot of very amusing stuff, especially when quoting silly jargon and the absurdity of Church bureaucracy. I took it with me as I cycled off on various errands this morning, and was very glad when pouring rain drove me to a coffee-shop and a good excuse to sit and read for ten minutes...oh, I could perhaps add coyly that the reason I was sent a copy is that I have a feature - on the subject of marriage and horrible new Sexual Orientation Regulations and how they may crush religious freedom to speak on this issue - in the current edition (and if you want to see what I look like, it has my pic too). You can get a copy by sending £3 to New Directions at 2a The Cloisters, Gordon Square London WC1H 0AG

RAIN

I actually love rain and find it daft that weather forecasters always seem to treat the arrival of this absolutely neccessary item - water - as a source of gloom and apprehension. For goodness' sake, where would we be without it? Some of the most terrible places on earth are those bereft of water, where people and animals die of hunger. To live in a well-watered land is a great blessing...


WORLD YOUTH DAY


I have been toying with the idea of doing a sponsored cycle ride in aid of World Youth Day. A neighbouring parish, where the priest has been a fellow-writer in the Catholic press, is acting as the focal point for young people in our diocese who want to attend, and I'd love to help...It is going to cost a good deal for young people to attend, but judging from the experiences of those who went in 2005, it will be a great experience. The prospect of cycling around a (rural) bit of England with people sponsoring me at so much a mile is pleasing. Do you think it would be worth my trying to organise this?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Go for it Joanna! i'll sponsor you!

Anonymous said...

That sounds like a really good idea Joanna. I will sponsor you - it's such a good cause.
Amette

Barbara B said...

Go for it Joanna! Perhaps I should come over and join in ...

Anonymous said...

Of course you should Joanna, and God bless you for your willingness and spirit!
Also Thank you from all christian's for writing an article on the horrible new laws taking over. We NEED YOU, and MORE of it!
Also I agree with you on the rain perspective! How true!

Anonymous said...

It must be a curious northern hemisphere 'loathing' of rain... down in the land of Oz there is a desperate need for buckets of it, although any would be most welcome. And over the past week, good falls have hit parts of SE Oz and it is a sight to see farmers out there after sunset on tractors with all their lights blazing, ploughing on dampened paddocks, desperate to get something sown.

Anonymous said...

I'll sponsor you Auntie! In return you can sponsor me on my sponsored silence for Zoe's Place (hospice for terminally ill babies) - all the pro-life lot are doing it up here. xxxx