Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Wed Jan 27th

IN LONDON TODAY....

Cycling across Green Park, I heard a great clatter of helicopters overhead, and crowds were gathering as I got near Buckingham Palace. At the kerb, I was stopped from crossing, so joined the waiting crowd...flashing lights, motorcycle outriders...it was Mr Blair coming to make his farewell visit to the Queen, or Mr Brown arriving to kiss her hand on being sworn in as the new Prime Minsiter - I am not sure which.

For some reason, there suddenly came into my head the reported words of the Pope as he surveyed the signed photographs of Cardinal Newman presented to him by Mr Blair at the recent audience, that 'miracles were hard to come by in England' and I found myself asking for a minor miracle, please, that with the change in PM would come a change in policies, to make them more family-friendly and pro-life. Now that really would be a miracle. Dear John Henry Newman, intercede for your poor country...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Some of us might prefer a more thunder-and-lightning miracle, but perhaps that's just a matter of personal preference.