Monday, August 31, 2009

Anxiety...

...can haunt you. I was anxious about something, couldn't get it out of my mind. Morning Mass. The lady in front of me had a lovely picture of the Pope in her prayer-book, vaguely reassurring. We get good numbers of weekday Mass in our local parish - it's a big church but felt quite full, and this is suburbia on a Bank Holiday Monday. I was suddenly struck by the consoling words of the prayer after the Our Father, in which the priest prays that we may be delivered "from all anxiety". Never felt the impact of that before. And then, chatting after Mass, some one said "if you are anxious, you should hold on to that prayer that is said following the Our Father..." and quoted it. Golly. Is our parish telepathic?. I cycled home feeling quite different.

No comments: