Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Tradition seems to reign supreme...

...in Yorkshire, where I had a wonderful weekend.You can read about it here,and I will add that the Union of Catholic Mothers of the Middlesborough diocese gave me a warm welcome at their annual conference, where everything was done in traditional style with a splendid meal (including chocolate cake, to which they carefully directed my attention) and much goodwill and enthusiasm. If you are interested in the subject of my talk, you can find much of it in the "Yearbook of Seasons and Celebrations" (Gracewing Books). If you want a signed copy send a Comment to this Blog, marking it 'Not for publication',and GIVING AN EMAIL ADDRESS AT WHICH I CAN REPLY TO YOU...

Scarborough, where I was based during my stay, has the most glorious beaches and views, and it was heaven to run down for an early-morning swim. The sea was cold (North Sea), the water deliciously clear and clean ("We've won an Award for it" the lady at the coffee-shop told me). Later in the day the beaches filled up with cheerful families - yes, real families, mothers and fathers and children and grandparents and everyone mixing in together. A kind family looked after my clothes and 'phone and bag when I went in for my second dip of the day. A small grandchild was busily digging a sandcastle, turning her face up from time to time to allow her grandmother to dispense strawberries, "Open wide, Grandam's going to give you another strawberry".

On the Sunday evening I gave a talk to the Hull Faith Forum - lots of young people, several of whom were engaged in football when we arrived but came running to greet Fr William Massie...there was a great sense of welcome and it was a very happy evening.

No comments: