Monday, April 15, 2013

Pollyanna Bogle...

...a nickname given to me a while back, and which I love.

I started to use it, because I loved the film "Pollyanna" as a child. Remember it? First film I remember watching, at a cinema in the London suburbs, one summer half-term.   Based on a children's story written in America in the 1900s...the film starred Hayley Mills as orphan Pollyanna from an impoverished family who goes to live with a grim great-aunt.  Pollyanna's late father, a missionary, had taught his little girl "the glad game". The Bible tells us to rejoice over 150 times. The key is to find something about which to be glad, even in a grim situation...

Easy to sneer, and lots of people did when the film came out, and do now.

When I was accused  of being a Pollyanna, I thought it was done with affection and fun, and was rather touched.  Only later discovered it was meant to be nasty: the idea was to attack Joanna and denounce her joy.  Ooops. Too late by then... I was using the name and enjoying it. My Iron Lady moment...

I don't always publish nasty Comments on this Blog - but I always read them, as I have always done with letters (death-threats, the lot!) that I've received over the years. Playing the Glad Game doesn't make you immune from insults, but you see them in perspective.

And, PS: Watch the film. Pollyanna wins. That's the whole point.

6 comments:

Jimmy A said...

My wife refers to me as "Pollyanna-ish" too. I think it is definitely a characteristic of our faith. "Omnia in bonum" because God is our loving Father who allows us to experience the cross which brings us closer to him.

Anonymous said...

Dear Joanna

The world needs some people who can be glad. Just keep rejoicing. God bless.

Anonymous said...

This is off-message. Sorry. I have a question. I saw you on EWTN's Bookmark and I was wondering if there is a saint with the name of Woodrow?

Anonymous said...

Saw you yesterday on Bookmark, and it was a fun and enjoyable segment. Thank you for your book! Never stop being a Pollyanna. It's one of the traits that endears you to so many. There is such a joyous aura about you. Praise God!

Connie K
Florida

Lorraine said...

My sister calls me that. It is much easier to be like Pollyanna and find the better than be so down and cynical. Even after the Boston bombing yesterday, I am still grateful. Thank you Auntie.
Lorraine
Lexington, KY

Anonymous said...

After reading today's entry, I borrowed the Pollyanna DVD from my local library and just finished the movie. Then I downloaded the book on my Kindle for tonight's reading. A little "gladness" is just what the doctor ordered after the sad news in my country over the past 24 hrs. Thank you, Joanna. You brighten all my days, but especially so today.

Connie K
Florida