Tuesday, May 14, 2013

... Yesterday, at a meeting...

...planning an Autumn event (info in due course) we broke off for tea, prepared by our kindly hostess who had welcomed us into her lovely flat near Westminster Cathedral.

 I went into the kitchen to help, took up the tray, crossed into the hall...and the bottom of it fell out, leaving me holding the frame! Shattering sound of crashing crockery - and milk, biscuits sugar, showering the carpet and walls....

You cannot imagine how far bits of broken china can travel, or how much mess one shattered milk-jug and full sugar-basin can make.

Mopping, hoovering, wiping - and, initially, leaving small trails of my own blood as I did so, because I didn't realise that I cut my thumb as I seized the first broken pieces from the carpet...

1 comment:

Malcolm said...

It's good luck to break a pot.

The tradition seems to derive from the Jewish practice of destroying an object of value at a wedding to mourn the loss of the temple. So the bride would crush a cup under her heel.