Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Christmas cards...

...tucked along every bookcase and in the useful Christmas-card holders than I bought years ago from Aid to the Church in Need and are among the best purchases I've ever made. Candles on the Advent wreath. Gifts in cheery wrapping paper and bright ribbons. I love it all.

Soon I'll erect the crib, with its special angel. Special?  Yes...some years ago I punctured my bike on my way to a friend's house. Fortunately I was just outside a bicycle shop, so hurried in and the tyre was swiftly mended while I chatted and admired the shop's little Christmas tree topped with an angel. I set off again..and  five minutes later, the bike ran over some broken glass in the next street, and the other tyre was punctured. I was cross, and fed up. No mobile phones in those days...I'd be horribly delayed, people would be upset. I dragged the bike back to the shop in a bad temper. The man was kind and briskly got to work and as I left he told me "Take the angel. You look as if you need one!"  I was embarrassed, but he insisted. And the angel has been part of our family Christmas ever since, hanging over the Christ-child in the manger, in white and gold with swooping wings...

No comments: