Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Did you know that...

...many of the Catholic bishops in Britain spend Christmas Day in prison?  Nor did I. But I learned today while at a prison that it is standard for the Bishop to come to celebrate Mass with the prisoners and, where possible, eat Christmas lunch with them...of course Bishops visit at other times, too, but I think that to be there at Christmas is exactly right, and is also quietly impressive...

I am not sure that any work I do in trying to assist the Chaplain at the prison I visit is very useful...but the general message is that they do like any sort of friendly link...today I spent time with K (not his real initial) who is preparing for baptism. He was taking it very seriously and attending all the classes  - "I like it: you can talk to Father about anything" - and doing the required reading.

Pray for prisoners.




No comments: