Monday, October 31, 2016

Right on cue...

...just as I'd been writing about Hallowe'en, there was a knock n the door, and I was greeted by a group of children from further up the road...

They had buckets (!) for sweets, and were all in quite cheery costumes. I asked them if they knew what "All Hallows" meant. Mild puzzlement, shared by Mum who was with them, but hovering in the background (an understandable  precaution, alas,  these days, for mum to be around if children are chatting away to strangers...) .  I beamed and explained: All Hallows -  All Saints, and that we hoped, didn't we, that one day we'd all be saint in Heaven!   And did they know the lovely prayer "Our Father, who art in Heaven..."  Did they know the bit about "Hallowed be thy name"?   And here were sweets...(I was given an enormous bag of delucious chocs with peanut-butter centres, in the USA, so had them to hand)  - and they enjoyed catching them in their buckets...and shouted "Saints!".  I don't know if they knew the point at all, but Mum beamed and said "God bless you!"

Not all is gloomy on Hallowe'en...

No comments: