Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Spent Monday...

...which was a Bank Holiday, exploring the City of London, planning the Autumn series of History Walks.    The names of the old City churches are wonderful: St Katherine Cree, St Andrew Undershaft, ... Fascinating information on Roman London in the deep Roman/Saxon crypt of All Hallows by the Tower. The church was not affected by the Great Fire (wind blowing in the opposite direction)  and is a feast of history...

I was asked recently where the name London originated. I knew the Romans called it Londinium. But why?  One possibility is a pagan God, Lud or Lod or Lund..seems that Lyons in France, and Luton in Bedfordshire may  possibly have the same origin...

Caught an evening train to Liverpool, arriving in a satisfying thunderstorm. Drenched, entered the chapel of this community to find them at prayer....

I was there to interview Myles Dempsey, and also to learn about plans for New Dawn at Walsingham, at which I have been invited to speak...

Fascinating conversations with Myles... elderly and disabled, but  uncomplaining and full of humour and common sense...among much else, enjoyed his comments on Catholic education, insights into why Walsingham is so important...and then, on a detour, his memories of Frank Sheed and the Catholic Evidence Guild...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Am in the U.S. Midwest, and I read your blog often. I'm getting the strong idea that England is slowly but surely returning to its Catholic roots, more so than my country. I cheer you on! So much rich history to rediscover. Love your work!