Friday, June 02, 2017

A wonderful evening...

...following a busy day leading an American group around Westminster and down to the Thames...

The group included a former Episcopalian - now Catholic - priest and his wife, who, on hearing that there was to be an Ordinariate Evensong and Mass at this church in the evening, expressed great interest...

It was a very hot afternoon, and after the American group had been safely despatched to a late lunch and a river trip, I tackled some emails, and then made my way to London Bridge, and, having an hour to spare, settled in this pleasant garden to do some reading and sewing. I rarely get a bonus like this. Two small boys were fishing with nets  for newts in the pond. Two young men talked and - after asking my permission, which I thought was kind - smoked and chatted. I stitched away at the cross-stitch kneeler I am making for the church, which I hope to finish for a couple to use it for their wedding in about five weeks' time...

When the bell started to ring, I gathered up my work...reflecting as I did so that I was almost certainly the only woman in London that day who could say "So, on hearing the bell for Evensong peal about across the garden , I gathered up my embroidery and set off for church..."  It gave me a cosy, Miss Marple-ish sort of feel....and as I walked down Redcross Way, I met  Father and Mrs Young, who were hunting for the church. It was lovely to be with them for Evensong and Mass.  Afterwards, they joined the parish group making a walking pilgrimage back across London Bridge and through the City, to find the site of Bl John Henry Newman's birthplace, which is marked by a blue plaque. A wonderful walk, with the fresh air blowing from the river, and so much history to enjoy... and then at the site of the birthplace, Fr Chris led us in prayers...and then off to drinks and good cheer in a pub at Leadenhall Market...a perfect, perfect London summer day.

No comments: