Friday, September 08, 2017

This weekend...

... (ie Sept 9th and  10th) I am guiding a pilgrim group from Trinidad around London. They are flying in from Fatima, and I'll be taking them to, among other places, Westminster Cathedral, and Ealing Abbey...and, looking ahead, my diary includes a school prizegiving, a London History Walk for Uniuversity students, and an Ordinariate gathering at Walsingham...

Yesterday brought my Birthday, and it was spent very happily. At this church, Evensong and an Ordinariate Mass began again after the summer break, so I offered to do pasta-and-prosecco afterwards (my kind husband provided the prosecco!). So after a beautiful time in church - where we had my favourite evening hymn -  a good number of us  gathered around one big long table in the parish room around a long table...I'd prepared two enormous dishes of pasta, plus olive bread etc and it all worked out well...

Earlier, I had spent the afternoon at the nursing home where my mother spent - very peacefully and contentedly - her last years. It had become a home-from-home for me during that time...a place where I was always welcome...

Mother's Birthday was September 10th, and we liked the fact that our birthdays were so close together. In recent years we often merged the celebrations...so it was very special thoughts that I went to St Teresa's on my Birthday afternoon - my first since Mother died -  taking with me some home-made jam, just as I have done on all the previous Septembers...on arrival I was enveloped in the warmest of welcomes...hugs, birthday greetings, and so much love and care.

It was one of the most beautiful experiences, and a perfect way to spend my Birthday afternoon..."and your Mother is marking the day too - safely in God's care..." kind Sister P. reminded me...

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Happy Birthday for yesterday Auntie J. September 7 was my mother's birthday.

Malcolm said...

So you'd have been about the eldest in your class at school?

Joanna Bogle said...

No, very much the youngest. I was almost a year younger than several of my classmates. J.